Saturday, October 25, 2008

chapter 3

the basics!

3 comments:

Sven said...

the famous 5 year mark is when couples begin feeling the pinch of $, they have little or no savings etc.
i am proud of my family and they way they have brought me up to save. i remember being very young and in north carolina mom/dad would give me the money i had earned and three envelopes. one would say TITHE 10%, the next SAVINGS 20%, and the last would say SPENDING. i am sure at that time i wanted it all to go straight into spending but that lesson of % never left me.

julia is so good at being very diligent to watch our bank account and call us both out when we begin to spend out of control. we have an automatic withdraw come out of our account each month and go right into a savings account and another amount right into our IRA. even when the money runs a little low we have been faithful to continue to save. what a great wife!

MONEY IS AMORAL! i love it. people try to demonize money but it is not it but us who are capable of doing wrong. i have always gone by the saying 'does money control me or do i control my money.' its when we live in fear and love of money that it becomes evil.

STUFFITIS. convicting. for me its GADGETITUS.

GIVING! julia has really brought the importance of it to me, not that i had not given here or there in the past but she is so much more faithful than i am. i also learned of sowing, that when we give we should tell God why were sowing and do so with a joyful heart.

i don't like 'peace puppies'. bad move marketing staff.
-stephen

Ruth said...

I remember in High School, I learned about how to keep a check book. In College, how to keep an accountant journal. I did not like either system because my personal system is not as difficult as their "system"

He complains about the lack of knowledge in kids, yet, when he was a kid with "the lack of knowledge" he learned from his mistakes. I believe i had a B+ knowledge about money leaving high school. I just lack income not so much the knowledge about how to handle it.

I love to save. It is a game to see how high I can get my score at the bank. I like it more than spending. Those stores don't want me to win, so they try to entcice me. They have even hired researchers to find the best way to get my money out of my pocket. HA, I know your tricks, Evil Stuffitis Stores. Alas, my one weakness, $1.77 *bucks coffee.

I have seen how a person's perspective on money influences their finances. If "I hate money" comes out. Money will not be a friend. I love the possibilities that come along with money.

Julia M. Arnold said...

Thanks Stephen for all the nice things you said! I feel that I need to find a balance though. I feel that somehow my 'fear' of lack of money is still controlling me. I know I just need to let it go! and trust God with our finances. He always provides.

I desires to learn to control my bank account more. I never got in the habit of keeping a checkbook. I bought one last week and after 5 days I stopped. I get so overwhelmed with keeping up but I hate the guessing game of how much is the account. I always admired my friend Kristi. She has been keeping a checkbook since highschool and when we go out for coffee she still takes a minute to balance her checking book!

I feel I was a victim of the 'Stuff' game. I have so many clothes that I DO NOT wear. We have a closet full of stuff we do not use! I am learning not to fall into the never ending cycle of having the best clothes to wear this week. Such a hard one for me since I love new clothes ha.