Saturday, October 25, 2008

chapter 5

let the buyer beware
3. develop your own power over purchase

4 comments:

Sven said...

i do like the life cycle and see how that it could cause not only an increase of pay but an increase in creativity. i feel that we have all in one way or another been in the death cycle. for me it was living in a closet in lakeland working as a life guard with no clue as to what to do next. less intense. less creative. less pay.

but boy i had to dig.
i think we as arnolds have a FULL history of hardworking families. OPA/OMA coming over and by hand creating and raising a family of 7, a successful and ongoing business, and constructing 7 duplex apartments for their children's children.

on the other side we have GRAM/POP who were for lack of better terms janitors in their own right, yet they retired with more money than most corporate company men with a college education.
they dug.

i feel blessed to come from that line, even now i look for ways for multiple streams of income and better opportunities to provide for my family.
'good stock'.

-stephen

Tabitha said...

May of these things Paul and I already did. Honestly. There was not much we learned from the book. It was something we that we were already doing, but the reminder was nice.

Ruth said...

I don't ever what to buy anything that will acumulate interest for someone else. I know there are psychologist that just study the buying habits of others. They place candy in the checkout lane at the hight of the children that are with you.

Julia M. Arnold said...

Power over Purchase is such a great lesson! It such common sense, but something that obviously a lot of Americans have forgotten. America is such a prideful country and I do not want to be victim of this game as I grow older and see the people around me get caught up in materialism. Especially out here in Los Angeles, it can be so easy to want to 'be' something you are not.

I am definitely going to encourage that Stephen and I follow the four steps that Ramsey suggested for making a big purchase:

1. We are not helpless!
2. What are our motives? Do we need it? Can we live without it?
3. Don't rush into the purchase. Sleep on it.
4. Don't be too prideful to ask to see something cheaper.