Saturday, October 25, 2008

chapter 7

lifestyles of the rich
5. live substantially below your income
6. sacrifice now so you can have peace later
7. you can always spend more than you can make

5 comments:

Tabitha said...

I am pulled to the daily materialism of society, but feel no need for those items. I can understand how people get pulled into keeping up with the Jones's. Screw them. I don't want to hand with the Jones's away. ha.

Ruth said...

As a girl, I often think of marriage, what my husband might be like and what might the size of my engagement ring should be. I thought they should be bigger than the ones the boys picked. maybe 2 carrots! Gram has one, why couldn't I. Then I remember that she had to live through over 65 years of marriage before she earned hers. I don't deserve such a ring, how "keeping up w/ the rich" of me. I don't think I have a problem with spending to impress people I don't know. I really like how he laid out a plan for buying a lower priced car and saving the rest of the payment for the next car! Love it and will do it.

Julia M. Arnold said...

This chapter really convicted me and my style of living. Not that I lived a very out of control luxurious lifestyle only wanting the best! (I shop happily at Forever 21 for goodness sake haha) But I know that I wasn't monitoring my spending and my food budget was KILLING ME! I know the importance of eating in and how just 2 bucks here and 6 bucks there really added up! I make my coffee at home and I am completely happy with it! Everything is so readily available at our fingertips and outside our driveways. I sometimes feel sucked in by corporations thinking that I would be more happy if I were more social and out spending money on food, coffee and beverages to be considered actively social. Now I know these things are wondeful, but in moderation. I see some of my friends go out EVERY night and spend so much money at dinner and bars.

I am praying for God to show us how to live substantially below our income out here in this expense city!! I am so willing to sacrifice now to have peace later.

Sven said...

david thoreau said 'almost any man knows hot to earn money but not one in a million knows how to spend it.'
that is the essential, i remember grandma once telling me that the man should bring it in the front door and the woman's job is to make sure it doesn't go out the back.
im not pushing all financial expectations on julia but i do think that God has given women a better understanding for long term thinking/saving. maybe its genetic but me and dad want to give the last of what's in our pocket to whoever is standing around us.
the other day i was in the grocery store and i started buying random stuff that i thought julia would want. then i said outloud 'im turning into my dad.' and put some stuff back.
me and dad need to realize that our money isn't lost in the huge purchases, it is slowly leaked out by the little costs that add up.
-steve jr.

Sven said...

PROVERBS 21:20 in the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil but the foolish man devours all he has.

DO NOT OVERSPEND.
SVE SAVE SAVE
BUY THE BASICS. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE BEST LATER.